Can I smoke hookah while still breastfeeding?

Can I smoke hookah while still breastfeeding? I used to enjoy going to a hookah bar once in a while. I don’t smoke cigarettes, but every now and then I enjoy the flavored tobacco you get at hookah bars. My daughter is 6 and a half months old and still nurses a little. My husband and I were considering going to a hookah bar this weekend, but I want to make sure that it won’t be incredibly bad for our daughter if I smoke just once.

I really would not recommend it. It’s probably best to wait until she’s weaned, just to be sure.

15 comments

1 claire { 01.31.10 at 11:44 am }

I think it would be best if you didnt smoke.

2 Tayler { 01.31.10 at 12:34 pm }

My suggestion is not to do it. Wait until you have weaned your daughter at least before taking up smoking again.

3 Emma { 01.31.10 at 1:19 pm }

the best idea would prob to stay away from it although I doubt one smoke would be harmful for breastfeeding…

4 frenchy<3 { 01.31.10 at 1:48 pm }

I dont think it will be bad if you did it just once but I would not do it over and over again. I would probably just make sure before you breastfeed that it’s has been a couple of hours after your last smoking session.

5 squire_rhiannon { 01.31.10 at 2:22 pm }

I’m not sure how long the tobacco would stay in your body, but you could probably treat it like drinking alcohol while breastfeeding, make sure baby is fed and you have pumped before you go (and do it right before you go). Don’t do it for very long, so you have time for the bulk of it to work out of your system before you need to nurse again (you might even want to see if she’ll take a little formula when you do this, so you could pump and discard the milk after you get back).

Anything you ingest gets into the milk, so you want to maximize the time between feedings so you have time for it to work out of your system.

6 GreenMomma { 01.31.10 at 3:05 pm }

I’m sure you know it’s not GOOD for you and the baby, but it’s my opinion that one night of smoking hookah will not be terribly harmful to her.

I would take extra precautions by "pumping and dumping", just to be safe.
Mother of one.

7 MUM2MITCHELL { 01.31.10 at 3:10 pm }

i think it would be fine

8 Cheryl N { 01.31.10 at 3:27 pm }

It probably wouldn’t affect your breastmilk, but the second hand smoke clinging to your clothing would be more of an issue.

9 Jenny *Due March 23 with Aleiha* { 01.31.10 at 4:17 pm }

I would recommend you to bump one day ahead if you do it. There is nicotine in the tabacco, so your best bet would be just to wait till you don’t breastfeed anymore

10 mother0'four { 01.31.10 at 4:25 pm }

I wouldnt do it. Everything you take in passes to your milk.

11 Danielle { 01.31.10 at 4:58 pm }

I really would not recommend it

12 Freesa { 01.31.10 at 5:36 pm }

I would recommend that you visit kellymom.com It is a breastfeeding site with tons of information backed up by research. Also the forums on there would be a great place to get more info from ladies who really know their stuff regarding breastfeeding, and what is safe and what is not.

13 eikcaj231 { 01.31.10 at 6:02 pm }

Its obviously bad for you, but it wont hurt the baby. All of these women that think that everything you put in your body goes into breast milk are ignorant. Your body metabolizes everything. You can even drink without dumping your milk out. Don’t take my word for it though, ask a medical professional.
My Doctor

14 Charlie { 01.31.10 at 6:42 pm }

This is one of those questions that you have to read the information and make the call yourself. In my opinion, the question you need to ask yourself is:

"Will the inability to go to a hookah bar incline me to wean early?" And if the answer is yes, then it is my opinion that your baby would be better off with you going to the bar and getting breastmilk longer term, than you putting the trip to the bar off but weaning early.

This link has a good discussion of the issue, but is aimed more at people who are addicted to cigarettes and can’t stop.

Best wishes, I wish you a long and happy breastfeeding relationship with your child:)
References :
Mother to one two year old boobie lover and passionate about promoting the normal feeding of babies and children;)

15 JB { 01.31.10 at 7:07 pm }

Just give it a couple of hours after smoking before nursing. I wouldn’t make a habit out of it – but nursing shouldn’t be in the way of doing some fun things occasionally (even drinking in moderation. There is a ton of info out there about how to do so safely.

Have fun!